Thursday, March 1, 2012

Monica's Door Frame

I know it's maybe a bit dated now, but Friends remains one of my favorite shows to have been on TV. I'm only slightly to embarrassed to admit that I own all 10 seasons on DVD (read: every single episode ever made). While in grad school, I spent a semester working on a team with two other girls. We struggled to work together effectively until the day we realized we were just like the three girls on Friends - I'm the Monica. Although Monica and I don't have a ton in common, we share a similar style. I love Monica's apartment and one of my very favorite touches is the beautiful frame on her door:

It looks like I'm not the only one out there who admires this frame. You can buy one, if you want!
While I suppose I could have done that, I noticed Monica's frame is actually pretty thick. It looks to me like it stands out from the door at least an inch, if not two. In my apartment, there's a wall behind the door - meaning the door can only open to about a 90 degree angle, as opposed to a 180 degree angle like in Monica's "apartment." I would definitely be worried about the frame getting smashed against the wall and damaged when the door swings open.

Not long ago, I was at Michael's where I discovered a lightweight, thin cut wooden frame. I thought it would be perfect to put around the peephole on my door. I brought it hope and painted on 2 coats of Ceramcoat's 14 karat gold paint. With a couple of teensy Command strips, I was able to stick it onto my apartment door. Voila! My own golden peephole frame for about $5. Here's a close up:

And here's a shot of the whole door with its new frame. I couldn't be happier!


No comments:

Post a Comment