Monday, July 9, 2012

Birthday Candles

As you may remember, I received a set of beautiful glass candle holders as a birthday present a couple of months ago. I knew right away that they would look beautiful in my apartment, but it took me a little time to figure out precisely how I wanted to display them.

Here they are on the shelf where I'll be displaying them. While the colors are pretty, I was worried they looked just a little lost. Here's a closer look:
I wondered if maybe they would look a little more defined if they were on a footed tray. I pulled out a cake dish I only use from time to time to see how it might look.
I thought this was okay, but I thought the candles were so squished together you couldn't really see the beautiful glass. I decided the foot wasn't necessary and that I needed a bigger plate.
I think this plate is much better, giving them the space to really shine. But, it's just a smidgen empty. That gave me a couple of ideas!
This gave me the perfect opportunity to add the Pixie candle holder from Crate and Barrel to my collection! I've had my eye on it for years but never had a home for it because it's clear. Until now!
And here it is, complete with the finishing touches! The red tea lights were also part of the birthday gift. I knew I wanted to use the red plate, and decided the some matchbooks would be really cute. I stopped over to my favorite antique store, which has all sorts of interesting things. I found these guys there!
And the back:
These matchboxes make me smile. I love the two colors together and how they match my living room. I've never been to New York but I would like to go and check out some old-World glamour. Arrowwood was the very first resort "Up North" in Minnesota that I ever went to. Such a great contrast!
And here's the display, all aglow!
I know this picture is dark, but I wanted you to see just how pretty it looks with the lights off. These candles are a great reminder of my birthday every day. Make a wish!

No comments:

Post a Comment