Monday, November 18, 2013

The vertical pile

Hmmm... what does this sound like? It sounds weird. Of course when stuff is piled, it's piled vertically. But the bottom thing rests on a horizontal surface. Right? For 99% of my piles, that's true. Until very recently, however, I was operating one vertical pile. And it was about as successful as it sounds...

Okay, so what is this?

It's actually this, covered with junk. In the picture above, this hook was holding a pair of pants and a t-shirt, each on a hanger, as well as my book club sweatshirt, which was not on a hanger. In addition, it was holding about 6 scarves. It was a disaster! Every time I got too close, one of the scarves was falling to the floor. Moreover, the scarves were hard to see behind the other stuff and when it was time to remove one of the ones from the back, heaven help you. Plus, since I could tell all along that this scarf storage solution was such a wreck, I was storing the scarves basically wherever. Like wadded up on the hall table. Or thrown casually on the floor. To be totally honest, I know that some scarves are going to end up discarded in a ball from time to time during the week. But when it comes time to pick up on the weekend, it's not working for me that there isn't an appropriate place to put them "away."

I spent some time thinking about the best way to deal with the errant scarves that seemed to be taking me over. I know part of the issue is that I've been adding to my scarf collection recently, in a bit of a frenzy. I considered buying (or making) one of those special hangers that is intended for scarves, which are laced through the holes. While that's a good space-saving solution, I knew I wouldn't really take advantage of it - because I'd be too lazy to lace and unlace the scarves. I also considered installing a hook rack on the wall in the hallway. There was room and everything, but I was reluctant to take on that project, especially since I've begun to think more seriously about moving out of this apartment.

And then, while I was at Wal-Mart not long ago, I found the perfect thing!

Yay! Easily space for 12 scarves before the vertical piling resumes!

I'll leave you with a close-up of the eight scarves on the rack. I know they don't match, but when you put them all together, they're sort of wonderful. Good luck removing vertical piles at your place!

No comments:

Post a Comment