Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Mother's Thumb

I've got a bunch of stuff I'd love to share... but I'm not able to write you a nice post to read today. Apparently, I went crazy with some knitting on Saturday afternoon. And on Sunday, I was definitely feeling it. Every time I moved my left hand, it hurt like crazy! On Monday, while I was observing Veterans' Day by not going to work, I was wearing a wrist brace. And going crazy with Dr. Google. To me it sounds like the kind of pain I'm continuing to have in my left hand is De Quervain's tendinitis, also known as Mother's Thumb, Washerwoman's Sprain and Gamer's Thumb. While I'm not a mother, a washerwoman or a gamer, something isn't right. It hurts when I grasp things, like while unbuttoning my coat. I also noticed it when I was drying my hands off with a towel after washing. Apparently, I'm accustomed to doing some kind of grasp-and-twist that has now become quite painful. Yeesh.

So, as much as I love the thought of telling some stories by writing here, I need to spend my free time icing my wrist. Woof. Hopefully this clears up in the next few days and I can get back to business!

Meanwhile, here's a pic of my left hand in its better days, ie, immediately following a manicure in a color called Miami Beet. Sweet! (This picture probably helps you see that I'm right handed, which is why the most obvious subject for my photo is my left hand.) Get well soon, hand... I've got some typing to do!

2 comments:

  1. Dude, knitting injuries are very real! My knitter mentor actually injured herself so badly she had to take several months off of knitting. She took up cross-stitching in the meantime (which is where I got the idea!). Hope this is a brief thing and you get back to your crafting soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes! It definitely did hurt for real, though things have already improved a ton. While I'm a little nervous about picking up my needles once again, that day is coming soon!

      Delete