Friday, June 14, 2013

Smashed

A couple of weeks ago, I had a string of pretty terrible luck. It was basically an 18 hour period, when a few things turned up busted. 

On Monday morning, as I was getting ready to go to work, I bumped the carafe for my coffee maker against the side of the sink as I filled it up. 

My sweet little coffeemaker isn't much good without a carafe. I did some internet research to see about buying the right sized carafe, but unfortunately they don't make it anymore. I suppose that makes sense, since I bought this machine in 2002. 10 years from a $15.00 coffeemaker... I guess I can't complain! 

Another $16.00 at Target got me this shiny, new, bigger coffeemaker. I only make a tiny, tiny amount in it each day, but so far I'm pretty excited about it! I'm considering buying an extra carafe just to keep in storage, because I'm sure that broken-carafe day will come. 

While the loss of my coffeemaker was a disappointment, it actually wasn't the worst news...

My sweet little phone went face down onto the pavement in the Kowalski's parking lot when I stopped there briefly on my way home on Sunday evening - just the day before the coffeemaker deal. ACK! Until this happened, I had never seen a phone so violently scarred by a fall. 

The rather incredible news was that the phone still worked! 
Here's the proof! 

Even though the phone did work, though, I decided it needed to be replaced. The screen wasn't smooth to the touch anymore, and it was very difficult to read small type. I received this phone as a Christmas gift in December of 2011, so I've had it for about a year and a half. I knew that there had been some interesting new developments during that time. Galaxy S 4 anyone? I-Phone on T-mobile? 

I was intrigued and definitely spent some time researching and reflecting. Ultimately, though, I decided that the best option was to order a new one of exactly the same phone. I got it from Amazon, and here I am very excitedly getting it ready to go! 

So, here it is, all set up and ready for action! I got a case with a bit of a raised bevel on the front. Hopefully that means that, the next time I drop it face-first onto the pavement, the screen won't get as badly damaged. I changed the background to a photo I took (Minnehaha Creek!), set my daily alarm, and away I go. Even though things got badly smashed, I've gotten my life put back together! 

No comments:

Post a Comment