Thursday, August 23, 2012

Mustard Chicken

As you might recall, I've been obsessed with cooking in my toaster oven this summer. Luckily, in this past week, it hasn't been quite as hot. But, cooking with the toaster oven is probably still faster and easier than using the real oven. This week, I made one of my standard chicken recipes in the toaster oven. Get ready for this!

You can only use the toaster oven for this recipe if you want to make enough for 1-2 servings. I often make this when I have company coming over, where I'll make several chicken breasts. That's going to require the oven. But, for a quick weeknight meal when I'm home by myself, this is perfect!

I started by putting the chicken on the baking sheet, along with the cut up potatoes. I double line my cookie sheet with foil. I suppose you could consider that wasteful, but if the lower level of foil remains clean, I'll just leave it there as a base layer for next time.

Next, I mix up the ingredients for the sauce. It's super simple!
I use equal parts mayo and mustard to make the sauce. You can use any brand of either one that you like. I've never attempted to make this with Miracle Whip or with some kind of light Mayo - I would imagine that doing so would yield a thinner sauce than the one you'll see below.

I use a mounded teaspoon of each when I'm making enough to cover the chicken and potatoes pictured above. I really, really like this sauce so I go a little heavy on it. I first learned of this recipe in a cookbook that suggested you use a mustard more like Grey Poupon, which is already pretty creamy. You could certainly do that instead if you like that flavor better. I would imagine that if you do equal parts Grey Poupon and Mayo, you'll wind up with something that's a much lighter texture.

Okay, here's the sauce, all ready to go. Yummy!

Now the chicken and potatoes are ready to roll! I baked them in the toaster oven (without any preheating) for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.

And here's the finished product, all ready to eat. Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment