Sunday, January 29, 2012

New art in the hallway

One of the things I like best about my apartment, which still feels "new" though I've lived here for two years, is that it has a hallway. I like that the rooms don't just run right into each other and I have a little bit of a chance to decorate a long narrow space. I'd been thinking for a while that I needed to find something to hang on this wall, to give it a little bit of color.

Just for reference, to the left is the door to the hallway bath. To to the right, the hallway leads to the living room and the entry door.

I was recently shopping at Gordman's, where I was hoping to find something unusual. Gordman's is a new addition to the scene around here, and while they certainly have things that aren't my taste, I like having additional options. I found this lovely piece, printed on canvas and not wood, for only $20!



Yesterday, I got out the tape measure, hammer and nails and finally hung this lovely piece up. While it does darken up the hallway a little bit, I think it's definitely a plus. I also don't have that much green in my decor generally, so I'm happy to add a little more.

The canvas is actually glossy at the top - where the blossoms are - so it's quite difficult to get a good picture without too much glare. This is the view from in front of the linen closet. Hanging it also turned out to be a snap because there was a lingering nail hole from a previous tenant in the middle of the wall. While that hole wasn't high enough off the ground, and was too big for my nail, it gave me the ideal positioning. I just tapped in a new one a couple of inches up, and voila! What an easy and beautiful project!



No comments:

Post a Comment