Monday, January 23, 2012

MLK Weekend Double Feature

I was lucky enough to have MLK Jr. Day off of work, so I had the chance to see two movies during the weekend! On Sunday, I went with my family to see War Horse. I was a little nervous that it would be sad (especially after I heard that the Duchess of Cambridge teared up), but I enjoyed it a lot. I thought it was interesting that the horse probably survived longer than a solider would have under the same circumstances. I hope it's not a spoiler that the horse is used by soldiers on both sides at different times during the movie. While I don't know for sure, I have to believe that the troops on the other side would not have given the same quarter to a human enemy.



On Monday, I went with Daisy to see the American version of the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. I've read all three of the books, and seen all three of the Swedish movies in the theater. I was initially very nervous when I heard about the American version - I wondered how the characters would speak and whether it would be realistically set in Sweden. I was very impressed. It appears that Daniel Craig's accent isn't quite his usual British English. It's closely related, which makes sense since most European children learn British English at school. There was only one brief scene where he was yelling that I thought "James Bond" and not "Micke Blomkvist." I know the film is very violent, but I found it suspenseful in spite of my familiarity with the story. And, of course, Sweden is a great backdrop:



What a great weekend filled with adventures in Europe. Happy Birthday, MLK!

No comments:

Post a Comment