Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Guess who's back?

Finally - me!

I've been thinking for several weeks about how this return-to-life blogging post was going to go. And, during this same time period, I've had an ancient mix CD in the rotation in my car that features this song. Sorry for bringing him back to you, but I do think this is Eminem's best!

So, yeah, I've been away from blogging for a really long time. I had my surgery on July 9, precisely as scheduled. It was a nail biter until the very last minute, but it went without a hitch. We had basically three goals for surgery: completely eliminate two aneurysms, and have me wake up as myself. My surgeon had explained to me that he probably wouldn't be able to completely eliminate one of the aneurysms, because it was weird. We both hoped he might be able to take care of it completely, but he couldn't. It's not been totally resolved, though it's better than it had been. And, the two other goals were completely achieved: the other aneurysm is gone and, best of all, I got to wake up and still be myself!

I recovered in the hospital with the help of these cheerful balloons!

And I got to enjoy this awesome summer view of the Minnesota State Capitol every time I took a lap around the floor where I was staying. I actually managed to cut two days off my hospital stay from last time. I had surgery on Tuesday afternoon and was asleep in my bed at Mom and Dad's by Saturday night.

Recovery after the hospital went pretty smoothly. Last time, I had to take this medicine that made me feel tired and discombobulated for 3 months after surgery - and this time I got to skip that one altogether. That's part of why, when I was invited to go to a mid-day Twins game during my last week of FMLA leave, I was able to say yes!

I had the chance to enjoy the beautiful summer days, like this one, which are starting to seem like an awfully long time ago. Recovery certainly wasn't without bumps in the road. I'm sure there were days when you wondered whether I would ever return. I wondered that myself, actually, because there were lots of days when I was too tired to think about the energy I'd need to do cool projects and write about them. I kept thinking to myself that the gnarly medication had been to blame for how I felt last time I recovered, so I didn't understand why I felt so icky this time around. I guess the real answer is as much as the meds (it's Keppra, if you're curious) SUCK, surgery really takes it out of you either way.

But, eventually fall got here, and things suddenly seemed like they were back to normal. With one big exception, of course: the blog! So, I have a few things that happened during my break that I'll be able to share with you soon. I'm looking forward to more. Thanks for sticking with me despite this long hiatus. I know the real fun is about the begin!

1 comment: