Tuesday, July 9, 2013

It seems to be about that time...

It seems that the time has come for me to take another blogging break. If you've been around here for a while, you know that I've had some serious health issues that have weighed me down. In April, in consultation with my neurosurgeon, I decided that the time was right for me to have my second (and hopefully final) round of brain surgery which might just resolve things for good! In late May, I was disappointed when I learned, almost by accident, that my surgery scheduled for June 18 had been cancelled. After some more negotiating the schedules of the surgeon and the other two docs, the surgery was rescheduled. The date? Today, July 9.

In advance of surgery, especially after I finished up another lingering project I'll have to share with you later, I decided to knit myself a hat. I started here:
Does this yarn look familiar to you? I actually already used most of it to make a hat and scarf for Ginny, which you can read about here. I used the same pattern and made it almost exactly the same way. This time, I used a total of 7 needles - six to carry the stitches and a seventh to actually knit with. It's a little bit of a pain to knit with so many needles, but I dropped fewer stitches than last time, so it was all worth it. Also, lessons learned: it's pretty darn difficult to travel with a knitted project on so many needles. And, because there seem to be points everywhere, it's easiest to knit sitting at a table. That way, your work's weight is on the table and the points are jabbing the placemat rather than your lap. Duly noted.

And here's the finished product! It's actually a pretty short little hat - it barely covers the tops of my ears even when pulled all the way down. I can easily tuck it behind my ears, which is a bit more comfortable. All of that would be weird for a winter hat, but I think it should work out perfectly since I'll only wear this hat while my incision is too icky to go out in public bare - that should be a period of just a couple of weeks. In July nonetheless!

So, with that, it's time for me to sign off for now. As I write this post, I'm very nervous surgery is going to wind up cancelled. If that should happen, I'll be back soon with more posts for you! I know my fears about cancellation are somewhat overblown. Unfortunately, it's happened to me enough times that I just can't banish those thoughts. All of that said, I have to expect that I'll have surgery as scheduled and that it will be several weeks before I have more good stuff to share with you. I hope you'll be back once I can write again! I'll miss you!

No comments:

Post a Comment